2021 goals and plans
- Fully utilize CMake. [Done]
- Developers can build apps and the framework with CMake for all targeted platforms.
- More feature-rich applications. [In Progress]
- Pix image editor and GPS location browsing.
- Vvave metadata editor and cloud streaming.
- Improve data synchronization using NextCloud. [Pending]
- Only Buho and Vvave have initial and basic support.
- Improve performance. [In progress]
- MauiKit framework split out.
- Improve the UI cohesion on all supported platforms. [In Progress]
- Move beta apps to stable. [In Progress]
- The Clip movie player has been moved to stable, missing the Sol web browser and Shelf document viewer.
Beta PackagesBeta AppImages for Linux desktop and mobile computers will be available in the upcoming week and APKs for Android and Windows installers. For more early previews of packages and get involved, you can join us on Telegram. Links above.
MauiKit FrameworkThe MauiKit framework has been split out into sub-libraries. Now developers creating applications using the framework do not have to drag unneeded dependencies for extra controls. The deployment of packages on platforms like Android, Windows, and macOS gets lighter, the same for AppImages. For the upcoming release, there are three new libraries:
MauiKit::FileBrowsingMauiKit remains being core component for the former three. MauiKit still has some parts that will be moving out in upcoming releases:
MauiKitMauiKit is the core library for creating Maui apps; the visual components can be imported from QML using the URI:
org.mauikit.controlsThe visual controls are independent and can be mixed with other controls from other frameworks such as Kirigami without any problem. MauiKit also contains utilities for the back-end and data modeling; to use this, MauiKit can be linked. For modeling data, MauiKit offers
MauiKit::MauiListwhich is an easy way to represent data and use it as a model with
MauiKit::BaseModelThe header file FMH contains enums and helpers to manipulate the templated MauiKit data modeling structures. Another backend utility for tweaking the application and setting up information is the
MauiKit::MauiAppFor this upcoming release MauiKit has gained some new convergent controls:
ColorsRowUsed to pick from a list of different colors. It provides a common UI for this common pattern.
TabViewThe TabView control helps to quickly and dynamically create new tabbed views. The port view to switch between tabs gets adapted from a mobile-friendly grid view to an old-style tab UI on desktop computers. Apps like Index, Station, and Nota are already using this new control.
ContextualMenuA popup menu that gets adapted from mobile handheld devices to desktop computers. It is still the same old menu popup on desktop computers, but the menu positioning is more accessible on mobile devices.
MauiKit::FileBrowsingA library to browse the local file system but also NextCloud servers and tagging files. To use the visual controls, the URI can be imported from QML:
org.mauikit.filebrowsingSome of the visual controls are:
- FMStatic for command file actions
- FM and FMList for listing files
- FileLoader for asynchronous loading files from multiple locations
- Downloader to download remote files
- Tagging for file tagging
MauiKit::TextEditorProvides an already made text editor with the basic functionality plus: find and replace and syntax highlighting, document changes alerts, lines numbers, file opening, and saving. To use the TextEditor UI control, the URI can be imported from QML:
MauiKit::ImageToolsProvides tools and controls to visualize and edit images and gather metadata information. The apps can import the visual controls from QML by using
org.mauikit.imagetoolsSome of the visual controls are: